Tuesday, July 22, 2008

Girl Talk - Free the Music

The first time I heard Girl Talk I had to sit down. It was October 2006 and my friend brought over Night Ripper, the third album from the DJ Gregg Gillis. He popped the CD into the stereo and we just sat on the sofa and listened - not once, but twice. 

As music lovers, we were blown away by the ease with which Gillis had mixed all these seemingly different songs and genres together. That's right, we were blown away by a mash-up DJ, but not just any mash-up DJ. Girl Talk might be the best because he creates new songs from old ones, which is more than what most mash-up DJs do. 

Gillis has a new album, Feed the Animals and he's asking for donations. Radiohead did a similar setup with its last album, but in the case of Gillis it's more interesting because there are some people who do not consider him an artist because he's "just sampling." Personally, I deem Gillis a postmodern music deity because his music is fun and exciting. But decide for yourself and check out what's done on Girl Talk's website.   

1 comment:

jiggins said...

Man.. I remember the first time I heard "Night Ripper".. I had to stop what I was doing too. I am actually a big fan of mash-mixes.. but on a more quality and thoughtful level. I think Greg Gillis has quite the ear.. good stuff. His mixes are thoughtful, and creative... I have never brought "Night Ripper" to a party.. and nit not be a big hit! There is something for everyone..and it's just awesome to hear the way it flows!

Check out Mark Vidler @ Go Home Productions.. different kind of mash.. but some quality tracks he has available. For Free!